How to Raise Lifestock In South Africa

A South African Site informs us that nearly 80 percent of its agricultural land is mainly acceptable for encompassing livestock farming. It is the biggest agricultural sector with 13.8 million cattle and 28.8 million sheep and 6.4 million goats. About 49 percent of the agricultural output actually derives from the livestock sector.

With high production of livestock, South Africa is self-sufficient with regards to meat needs. Consequently, it provides for the 85 percent meat needs of its own people. The remaining 15 percent is imported from neighbouring countries like Namibia, Botswana, and Swaziland, and some from Australia, New Zealand and Europe.

Ever since, livestock has been the fortitude of South African agriculture. For example in the seventeenth century, European colonists admired the large sheep herds of the Khoikhoi people in the Cape Peninsula. When the Europeans later brought new breeds of sheep and cattle, it led to emergence of commercial livestock sector.

Today, the livestock sector production of South Africa is estimated at 900,000 tons of bloody meat annually. Farmers own approximately 1.2 million pigs. The poultry industry has at least 11 million chickens. In addition, a tiny budding ostrich-raising industry produces important plumes, meat, and skins.

Livestock farming in South Africa include dairy farming, sheep and goat farming, poultry and pig farming, beef farming, game farming, and aquaculture.

Dairy farming

South Africa’s dairy industry is fundamental to labour production for it employs roughly 60,000 farm workers in about 4,000 milk producers. It also indirectly provides jobs to around 40,000 people. The four leading dairy breeds in South Africa are the Holstein, Jersey, Guernsey, and Ayrshire. The majority of dairy farms are situated in the eastern and northern Free State, the Eastern and Western Cape, Gauteng and the southern parts of Mpumalanga.

Sheep and goat farming

Wool, which is derived from animals, is an important agricultural export. In 1940s, South Africa become the world’s fourth largest exporter of wool and has maintained to be one of the world’s top ten wool producers. South Africa produces about 100,000 tons in most years.

Around 50 percent of South Africa’s sheep are fine-woolled Merinos. Its sheep farming is concentrated in the Northern and Eastern Cape, Western Cape, Free State and Mpumalanga. Ermelo in Mpumalanga is one of the largest wool-producing districts.

Other varieties employed in sheep farming are Afrino, South African Mutton Merino, Dohne, and Merino Landrace. .The Afrino is a woolled mutton breed that adapted the arid conditions. A breed called Karakul sheep are farmed in the more arid areas.

Poultry and pig farming

In comparison to sheep and cattle production, poultry and pig farms are more concentrated in South Africa. South Africa’s production accounts for the 65 percent of world sales of ostrich goods that may come in the sort of leather, meat, or feathers.

South Africa’s annual meat output reaches up to 960,000 tons of meat. The Broiler production is about 80 percent of the entire poultry production. The leading pig breeds are South African Landrace, the Large White, the Duroc and the Pietrain.

===>> > Click Here For Complete Guide To Raising Livestock

Incoming search terms:

  • sheep farming for beginners in south africa
  • chicken farming for beginners in south africa
  • member of a cattle rearing people of southern africa
  • how much does it cost to raise a pig in south africa?
Share
This entry was posted in Raising Livestock and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *