At the start, it might appear like a lot of work preparing to raise chickens, but they actually require little daily care and you will soon feel the advantages of improving your own chickens once you begin.
Listed below are 5 items that are important to successfully raise your own chickens.
1. Housing: This does not need to be some extravagantly designed coop, the chickens simply need somewhere to roost in the evenings, and have somewhere where they are protected from predators. Plans for simple chicken coops can be located in lot of books or online, to suit the tastes of everyone.
2. Food: Chicken feeders are easily accessible for purchase, and again, are not costly and come in a variety of styles.
3. Water: Having a watering station raised above the land is more practical than simply having a water bowl or dish as the latter can be rather messy and will require more attention.
4. Storage for Feed: A metal bin is perfect for the storage of the chicken feed, as animals such as rats which also love the feed will be avoided from accessing it.
5. Nesting Boxes: These aren’t necessary, but they’re an easy way for you to accumulate the eggs laid. You can produce or purchase one from your local farm supply outlet.
By researching your options and having a plain idea in your head how you want to run things, there is no reason why you shouldn’t be able to successfully raise healthy and happy chickens.